Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Flash in the Pan

So as of tomorrow's issue, Mark Waid is done writing The Flash.



Full disclosure: I haven't been picking the Flash up now for a while. I read the last issue of Fastest Man Alive, but that's about it. Excluding Jay Garrick, The Flashes have never been characters who particularly resonated with me, nothing personal. The two suddenly-aged children didn't pique my interest enough to get me to pick up the book, although I enjoyed
the Waid-penned issue of Brave and the Bold in which they appeared a great deal. And I don't love Daniel Acuna's artwork. I mean no disrespect; it's certainly stylized and cohesive, just not my cup of tea.

All that being said, I hate to see Mark Waid leave this book so quickly. I hate to see so many of the creators out there leaving books so quickly. Love Bendis or hate Bendis, you have to give him credit for generally being committed to the books he writes for the long haul, as pointed out by Tom Brevoort.

I don't mean this as any kind of critique against Mark Waid, who is, after all, the Editor-in-Chief of an entire, albeit minor, comics company. But I suppose I wish that the handful of writers out there whom I'd consider the best in the business (of whom Waid is certainly one) were willing and able to commit to the kind of lengthy runs on major properties, or properties with a lot of potential, that will hereafter be referred to as seminal points in the character's history.

As things are right now, all many of the finest writers and artists have to offer us are some very nice six issue arcs, the perfect size for a single trade paperback.

No comments: