Thursday, January 3, 2008

Even Odds Make Betting Boring

Marvel.com's main news article this morning is about the return of the Young Avengers in a book that is most certainly not Young Avengers. Marvel is still under the delusion than Allan Heinberg will at some point be able to commit to a monthly series. I don't get why they don't just hand it over to some equally talented writer, if not some more talented writer, since Heinberg now has a giant fumble called the relaunch of Wonder Woman on his resume.

But I digress. This is more what I want to talk about in relation to this news article.



It's coming soon, and personally the Knave can't wait. Everything Brubaker has done on Captain America has sounded like a terrible idea. Yet everything Brubker has done on Captain America has been awesome. Brubaker's earned my trust. The new Captain America, with his gun and hunting knife, has me genuinely excited (I cannot, however, speak for Mr. Rob Berry). So the burning question becomes: who's under the mask?

Judging by the last page of Captain America #33, and the issue description of Young Avengers Presents #1, it's apparently not supposed to be a surprise when the big issue ships on January 23. I'm fine with that, I guess. Surprises and reveals are cheap and over-rated as plot devices on some level. The front-runner to become the new Cap, the Number One Seed, the guy Vegas is giving even odds to take the cowl is certainly an organic choice, one that makes sense within the broader context of what Brubaker's been up to.

But now's probably the time to make a longshot bet on Hawkeye, just in case.

1 comment:

Robert Berry said...

You realize that with the depth of my Captain America fixation this will probably need a couple of pages of drawing. When's my deadline again?
-Rob